If anyone who is reading this is planning on going to NYC to pay their turkish military service waiver (bedelli askerlik basvuru), READ THIS FIRST! The consulate website doesn’t include everything and is very misleading!
You will need (before you go)
- Turkish ID (plus one copy, front and back)
- Turkish passport
- Social security card (US) (plus one copy)
- Drivers License/ US ID
- 3 copies of the printout from e-devlet website
- $48 USD application fee
You must do (before you go)
- GET AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE TURKISH BANK YOU ARE PAYING THE FEE TO (we went to Vakif bank)
If you just walk in, they wont take you. We found this out the hard way. However, you can (it seems) go early on your appointment day and they will process you. You don’t need an appointment for the consulate.
While there you will
1. Call the bank the day you are paying your fee for the exchange rate (TL->USD). Don’t get it from your US bank, call the turkish bank!
2. Go to your US bank and get a cashiers check payable to the bank you are going to (e.g. Vakif Bank New York) with the memo section saying Military Service (your name)
3. Bring all your documents and the cashiers check to the turkish bank you are paying the fee to. They will process you and give you documents.
4. Go to the consulate with your application fee and all your documents. They will process you (they close at 1pm!!)
and HOPEFULLY you’re done! If you have everything together and an appointment this can take half an hour.
hayirli teskereler! 🙂