Springs is coming… Which means a lot of my favorite foods are coming back in season! Eggplant, strawberries, and tomatoes…
One of my favorites that I always struggled to make stateside was green beans/ pole beans… Commonly known as taze fasulye in Turkey. I could never make them as tasty and soft as what I had eaten years ago…
But now I have the recipe! I will never want for taze fasulye AGAIN! Buahaha!
1kg taze fasulye (either green beans or pole beans), julienned
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, julienned
1 Charleston pepper, chopped
2 tbsp salça (tomato or mixed)
10 tbsp tomato juice/konserve (or canned diced tomatoes with juice)
4 tsp sugar
4 tsp salt
Approx 1/4c olive oil
1. Wash and julienne beans by slicing down their center and cutting across to form 1 inch length pieces. If the beans husk is rubbery/hard to cut, remove the beans from inside and discard the husk. Let soak in room temp water while continuing prep.
2. Prepare your peppers, onions, and carrots accordingly. Add to a pot with olive oil and salça, mixing well. Add the sugar and turn on the heat to high.
3. Add the beans to the pot and DO NOT MIX! Spoon the tomato juice on top, lastly evenly distributing the salt on top. Still do not mix!
4. Cover and cook on high until the beans turn light green (approximately 30mins). Pour hot water over the beans until half an inch of beans is exposed. Don’t mix it now either!
5. Cover and cook on low for about one hour or until beans are soft. The boiling will mix everything for you 🙂